Mekong River & Khymer Kingdoms in Isaan & Laos 4 days/3 nights
Routing: Ubon Ratchathani – Pha Taem Historical Park – Mekong Baot Trip – Chong Mek
Border Market (Laos, Visa-On-Arrival Required)– Pakse Laos – Boat Ride – Champasak – Wat Phou Khmer Temple – Elephant Riding – Chong Mek & Khong Jiam (Thailand) – Khao Phra Viharn Khmer Temple (Cambodia, No Visa Needed) – Ubon Town Khao Phra Viharn Khmer Temple And Pha Taem National Park
Note on ‘Getting There & Away’: You may combine this module with others, or enjoy it as a ‘stand alone’ tour. This tour starts & ends at Ubon Ratchathani airport
(several flights a day to & from Bangkok), or town. Our guide and driver will meet you at the
airport unless otherwise instructed.
DAY 1: UBON RACHATHANI – KHONG JIAM – PHA TAEM HISTORICAL PARK – LOCAL BOAT RIDE – KHONG JIAM (L,D)
Upon you arrival Ubon Ratchathani, your guide will meet you and drive to Khong Jiam. Check-in at the Tohsaeng Khong Jiam Resort. Relax at your leisure.
In the afternoon, drive to Pha Team Historical Park. Then a 10 minute walk brings us to the paintings in the cooler late afternoon, when the light allows best viewing. Some of the subject matter depicted is easy to discern and interpret (elephant, fish & people). The subject matter in some other paintings is debatable. Listen to what the Fine Arts Department has to say, and then make your own decision! Enjoy lovely views of the Mekong
and Laos. Afterwards, walk back to the bus, and drive down to the Mekong, where
we will board a local boat (with a roof) for the trip to the resort. This part of the Mekong
River is especially interesting because it is narrow, and therefore easy for us to
observe life on either side! Enjoy the ambience of the resort before & after dinner.
Meals: Lunch, Dinner Accom: Tohsaeng Khong Jiam Resort (www.tohsang.com )
CHONG MEK MARKET & WAT PHOU, LAOS
DAY 2: KHONG JIAM – CHONG MEK – PAKSE – CHAMPASAK – WAT PHOU – ELEPHANT RIDING – CHONG MEK – KHONG JIAM (B,L,D)
After breakfast, drive with your guide to the Thai-Lao border crossing at Chong Mek, continue drive to Pakse. Upon your arrival in Pakse your guide will bring you to local pier to embark a traditional boat down the Mekong River to Champasak. Continue excursion by car or Tuk Tuk to visit the ruins of the Khmer temple of Wat Phou Champasak. Afterward continue by car to Ban Khiet Ngong for elephant riding before returning to Thailand in the late afternoon. Cross border at Chong Mek and transfer to Tohsaeng Khong Jiam Resort for dinner and over night.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Accom: Tohsaeng Khong Jiam Resort
DAY 3: KHONG JIAM – KHAO PHRA VIHARN – SIGHTSEEING – UBON (B,L,D)
After breakfast, drive with your guide to Khao Phra Viharn. Khao Phra Viharn Khmer temple complex
was started even before Angkor Wat in the heart of Cambodia! Unlike other Khmer Temples in Thailand,
this one has not undergone the restoration efforts of the Fine Arts Department. If Indiana Jones were real,
he would have found this place! Walk up steps to graded causeways through awesome “gopuras” and arrive
at the extensive but dilapidated center, which is on a cliff-top overlooking the virgin Cambodian countryside.
On the way back, stop off for a look at Maw-I-Daeng cliff carvings. These carvings exhibit many similarities
to some of the Hindu subject matter at Khao Phra Viharn, but experts disagree exactly which site preceded the other.
Have lunch at a local restaurant, then continue the drive back to Ubon Ratchathani. Visit a number of city sites in Ubon including Wat Thung Sri Muang, built in a very unusual mixture of Thai, Lao & Burmese styles. Also see the National Museum # 8 (unless the day is a Tuesday, when the museum is closed). The exhibits here help to put what you have seen over the last days into perspective. This museum is also home to 3 of the most important known inscription stones in Thai history. Your guide will have much local knowledge, so if last minute shopping does not interest you, he/she can take to see a few more cultural attractions before driving to your hotel for overnight and dinner.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner Accom: Lai Thong Hotel (www.laithonghotel.com )
DAY 4: UBON – NEXT DESTINATION (B)
After breakfast, you are free until your flight time we will transfer you to the airport or train station for your next destination.
Meals: Breakfast Accom: None
End of Service
TOUR COST – All Tours or combination of Toiurs, are subject to an Acceptance Payment/Deposit of £200 per person.
Cost per person on twin share basis as per itinerary
On application for the current Tour Cost for travel after 31 October 2009
Special Exclusive Prices !!
One Person – Thai Baht 33,792
2 Persons – Thai Baht 20,215 per person
3-5 Persons – Thai Baht 15,595 per person
PLUS – Acceptance Payment/Deposit of £200 per person.
Tohsang Khong Jian Resort surcharge as follows;
– Songkran Festival (13-15 Apr 09) @ THB 500 /room/night
– Candle Festival (18 Jul 08) @ THB 500 /room/night
– Compulsory Gala Dinner on 31 Dec 08 @ THB 1,400 /person
– Peak Season surcharge (24 Dec 08 – 3 Jan 09) @ THB 500 /room/night
Lai Thong Hotel surcharge as follows;
– Songkran Festival (13-15 Apr 09) @ THB 200 /room/night
– Candle Festival (18 Jul 08) @ THB 200 /room/night
– Compulsory Dinner on 31 Dec 08 @ THB 350 /person
– Compulsory Dinner oncandle Festival on Jul @ THB 600 /person
– Peak Season surcharge (30 Dec 08 – 2 Jan 09) @ THB 200 /room/night
1.On acceptance – £200 per person Acceptance Payment (non refundable) by cheque payable to “S W & M Miller”
Your Contract for all tour arrangements is directly with North by North East, Thailand to whom payment for the tour is made.
2. Eight weeks prior to arrival in Thailand, or on Acceptance – 50% payable in thai Baht, by Credit Card or International Bank Transfer, direct to North by North East, Thailand.
3. On arrival in Thailand – 50% payable, in Thai Baht, by Credit Card or Cash.
A credit card of 4% chargewill apply
35 days prior to arrival a cancellation fee of US$200 per person will be applicable.
30 days notice of cancellation a fee of 25% of the total amount will be applicable.
25 days notice of cancellation a fee of 50% of the total amount will be applicable
Less than 25 days notice incurs the full amount.
Acceptance Payment non refundable
Included in the Cost
- Accommodation on a twin sharing basis in the hotels mentioned above or equivalent – subject to availability. Accommodation in air conditioned room with bath (room with shower at Maekok River Village Resort) and meals as mentioned in the programme
- Any single room subject to supplement shown.
- Room and breakfast basis – or meals as indicated in the itinerary (B), (L) and (D)
- Transfers, entrance fees, and tours by air conditioned car/minibus
- Services of an English Speaking Guide throughout the tour from the start of the tour
- Train journeys where applicable –
- Basic porterage at airports, rail stations and hotels (not tips).
- All currently applicable taxes.
- Where US$ or Thai Baht are quoted, the UK pounds price shown is for comparison only and is subject to change.
- Excluded from the Cost
- Expenses of a personal nature: table drinks, laundry, telephone calls, Internet charges, mineral water, tips, shopping etc.
- Any other meals or services not mentioned in the itinerary or ‘includes’ list.
- Hotel surcharge during on peak season and festivals
- Any international airfares to India and Asia
- Domestic economy airfares, indicated in the itinerary, are subject to change –
- Any airport taxes where applicable in each country
- Any subsequent increase in airfares, fuel costs, monuments/sightseeing fees.
- Any other taxes subsequently introduced by Government, State or Tourist Ministry.
- Travel Insurance
- Visa Fees, if applicable, in any country – Laos visa fee (Visa on arrival 35 USD on week day 36 USD on weekend)
- Any Christmas, New Year and Gala Dinners
- 4% Credit Card charge
All elements included in this quotation are subject to availability until the booking is made. The hotels/ services as quoted may change when giving you the final confirmation, based on current availability.